On Mon, 2019-12-30 at 16:52 -0800, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> Who needs more than 640Kb of memory?
>
> We don't know what the future holds. This is an interesting read,
> featuring 5g to perform a "hologram" phone call:
> https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45009458

While I appreciate that this is just "an example" of why I might need
more than "640Kb of memory" (or more pertinently, more than just a few
MBits/s of phone bandwidth), it's not a realistic/relevant example.

Holographic phone calls?  I barely ever use even video calling of any
sort.  The "picture" portion of the call almost always adds zero value
-- helping my mom load paper in her printer using Duo to actually see
and navigate the physical restrictions of her printer from 300KM away,
aside.

But really, these are still all just weak excuses (and to be clear, not
reasons) for why we "need more" of what is already sufficient.
Consumerism as it's worst[1].

I'm not saying that maybe one day we won't need 25Mb/s to a hand-held
device, but hologram telephone calling, Netflixing and even video
calling, are not the use-cases, IMHO.

To head way O/T:
[1] I chuckled a this article:
https://www.businessinsider.com/google-chromecast-cheap-streaming-device-older-tvs-2019-12

Any TV which you can plug a Chromecast into, which is by any definition
a TV with HDMI, which is by just about any definition any "flat screen"
TV is not "old", IMHO.  Call me an old fuddy-duddy but an "old" TV is
that 13" B/W with 13 (was it?) VHF channels that my parents used to
have in the living room.

The very idea that any flat-screen/HDMI TV is "old" is just more
evidence of the rampant replace-anything-older-than-two-years-old
consumerism that grips North American society and is filling our (or
third-world countries') landfills.  North Americans need to learn to be
happy with what they have and buy (and pay for) the kind of quality
that lasts (i.e. press-board furniture need not apply).

b.