On 2020-04-29 17:51, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 01:49:14PM -0400, Tom Beecher wrote:
What if I am at home, and while working on a project, fire off a wide
ranging nmap against say a /19 work network to validate something
externally? Should my ISP detect that and make a decision that I shouldn't
be doing that, even though it is completely legitimate and authorized
activity? What if I fat fingered a digit and accidentally ran that same
scan against someone else's /19? Should that accidental destination of
non-malicious scans be able to file an abuse report against me and get my
service disconnected because they didn't like it?

Abuse departments should be properly handling LEGITIMATE abuse complaints.
Not crufty background noise traffic that is never going away.
Sure. Handling legitimate abuse complaints would be quite sufficient. :)

                Mukund

Since this is a distributed network and there's not a central authority to rule on each incident being legitimate, the only way to stay out of the politics is to ignore people's abuse complaints. Someone's SSH server is being spammed with probes?  That's pretty low bandwidth, not much threat to the network from a cracking script.  Maybe you don't like it, maybe it's criminal or whatever else, but ostensibly it's some paying customer's traffic and it should be delivered unmolested.  When someone's infrastructure is getting packeted or having their routers crashed repeatedly, they respond to that, usually without having to be emailed, because it's actual abuse of their network.  A lot of this other stuff is just people abusing the abuse contacts to get someone else taken offline.  Phishing websites fall into this category - it's not network abuse, it's just content someone doesn't like, and one way to get it taken down is to threaten the network that carries the traffic for it.

-Laszlo