Hello folks,

I'm not sure whether this is within scope as it regards LoWPANs ... please
chastise freely and ignore if LoWPANs are out of scope.

While trying to build a holistic view of LoWPANs, I'm consulting the IETF's
informational and standards documents.

I'm struck by the impression that, despite the significance of RFC6775's
extension of Neighbor Discovery(ND) to low-power and lossy networks (LLNs),
it is largely ignored by RFC6550 (RPL), with little to no reference to the
ontological plane created in RFC6775's terminology section.

For example:

(a) router advertisements and router solicitations are substituted by DAG
information objects (DIO) and DAG information solicitations (DIS)
(b) the terms "mesh-under" and "route-over" (widely cited), defined in
RFC6775, are absent from RFC6550
(c) jarringly: RFC6775 describes the route-over topologies as multi-IP-hop,
while RFC6550 gathers DODAG nodes within the confines of the same IPv6
prefix as their border router - no multiple IP hops.

Can anyone confirm or contradict this impression?

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale