"no clouds" is overstating the effect somewhat. I've operated a number of
mission critical Ku band based systems that met four nines of overall link
uptime. The operational effect of a cloud that isn't an active downpour of
rain is negligible. Continual overcast of clouds is not much of a problem
at all, it's active rain rate in mm/hour and its statistical likelihood,
climate parameters of the location.

Yes, during rain fade events, current generation VSAT modems will drop all
the way down to BPSK 1/2 code rate to maintain a link, with corresponding
effect on real world throughput in kbps each direction, but entirely
dropping a link is rare.