On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 1:30 AM Aaron Gould <aar...@gvtc.com> wrote:

> Do y’all like HE for Internet uplink?  I’m thinking about using them for
> 100gig in Texas.  It would be for my eyeballs ISP.  We currently have
> Spectrum, Telia and Cogent.
>
> -Aaron

I find HE useful as a special kind of transit provider. They have more
peerings than anyone and they have peerings that you will not be able to
get yourself. They are not necessarily a replacement for connecting
directly to local internet exchanges, but rather a supplement.

Unless you can afford to have most of the top tier transit providers, you
will often get a more direct path through the many peerings of HE. Then as
you grow and establish your own peerings, you will move some of that
traffic away from HE to your own.

One gotcha is that for some unknown reason, some of the big content
networks do apparently not peer with HE. However as an eyeball network you
will have little trouble getting those directly.

Regards,

Baldur