On 10/29/20 18:05, Blake Hudson wrote:

On the latest Catalina 10.15.7 from a MacBook Air (early 2014) via WiFi to Google Wifi Mesh router (only a single unit network):

Over 2.4Ghz through 3 interior walls:
--- 192.168.86.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.440/15.078/213.538/30.541 ms

Over 5Ghz through 1 door:
--- 192.168.86.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.557/24.614/137.233/39.015 ms

This is what I'm talking about. Why would you have such massive jitter on wi-fi to your local router?

You're hitting 213ms on 2.4GHz and 137ms on 5GHz. This doesn't seem odd to you?

Never had this issue pre-Catalina (I understand it may have been introduced in Mojave, but I came from High Sierra).

This is a real world test with several iPhones, 2.4GHz WiFi only cameras, and an iPad being used for zoom (remote school) while running these tests.

Same for me. There are tons of devices on my WLAN, and only the one running Catalina behaves this way.

No drama for the rest.

If you were not aware, on a Mac you can hold the Option key while clicking on the WiFi icon to see more options as well as more information about your current WiFi connection, including the realtime Tx rate, channel, and when your Mac is searching for new networks (mine does this every few seconds, it seems).

Yes, I am aware about the on-board macOS wi-fi diagnostics, and the good ol' trusted "airport -s". But those aren't enough.

I ended up spending money on NetSpot to see what's going on. Nothing there either. All I can tell is that Catalina is the problem; how exactly, is not yet very clear.

From an experience perspective, all applications seem to work fine for us. Including uploading to YouTube (a regular event as my spouse is a teacher) and Zoom/Teams/FaceTime/your teleconference app of choice (used by all of us).

So even though apps like Zoom report mild packet loss while on wi-fi (0.1% - 0.10%), it's not a train smash.

In general, everything works fine. But it doesn't feel 100%.

For the Youtube upload, I've found it to be temperamental, but I'm making it work for the time being.

Mark.