On 12/27/20 9:38 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 12/27/20 18:14, Michael Thomas wrote:

We have both, and are going to get a battery. But the battery would probably only be good for about a day which is not enough, especially with these planned shutoffs because they have to inspect their wire plant in daylight.

If you can add some solar panels to that, you would be in a better position to prolong the battery's utility.

I'd say dump the generator, and invest that money in solar panels, rather. Batteries are way more costly than panels, and if you can have both, you're going to be better off in the long run.

We can't get enough solar panels on the roof to charge a battery big enough to handle a multi-day outage, and the battery as quoted is only charged from the panels, not from the mains. It's easy enough to get a transfer switch though for the battery subpanel to hook the generator up to. If I really wanted to get fancy, I could supply the generator from our house propane tank, but it's not that hard to just use the normal 5 gallon type tanks.

Mike, it's sunday so i guess it's ok to be off topic :)