On Sun, Jan 03, 2021 at 03:26:07AM -0500, Valdis Kl??tnieks wrote:
> Meanwhile, this causes yet another problem - if Hulu has to be able to
> know what alerts should be piped down to my device, this now means that
> every single police and public safety agency has to be able to send the
> alerts to Hulu (and every other streaming company) - and do this securely.

And then there's another problem (that I'm going to bet you've already
thought of, given what you've written here): Hulu and every other
streaming company need to be able to authenticate the alerts from
all those different agencies.  Those agencies also need to secure
their sending infrastructure...and good luck with that.

And then there's another problem, which is that once all those different
agencies have this facility, they're going to (ab)use it as they see fit.
I've noticed that over the last decade or so that weather alerts I've
received are covering increasingly-less-severe events, e.g., we've
slowly gone from "there's a tornado on the ground" to "there's going
to be a thunderstorm".  And at this particular point in history, I can
think of one person who would be using this every five minutes simply
because it's there.

---rsk