On Tue, 05 Jan 2021 15:48:47 -0500, b...@theworld.com said:

> How much faster? If it took one minute of battery life off a 10 year
> battery would that be a problem? 30 minutes?

I suspect the proper time units are closer to months rather than minutes.

> How much power would a bit of circuitry waiting for a "turn on! there's a new
> message coming in!" need?

You also need a much larger bit of circuitry for frequency decoders,  speakers
and all the rest of it, and *most* of it has to be on all the time in order to
detect that there's a new message coming in. It's going to cost a lot more
energy-wise to monitor a frequency continuously than what's monitored inside a
smoke alarm.

Can you point at NOAA weather alert radio that has a 10 year battery in it?
Because you're going to need pretty much the same circuitry if you're trying to
cram all this into a smoke alarm.