On 1/10/21 4:00 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
sro...@ronan-online.com <sro...@ronan-online.com>:
While Amazon is absolutely within their rights to suspend anyone they want for
violation of their TOS, it does create an interesting problem. Amazon is now in
the content moderation business, which could potentially open them up to
liability if they fail to suspend any other customer who hosts objectionable
content.

When I actively hosted USENET servers, I was repeatedly warned by in-house and
external counsel, not to moderate which groups I hosted based on content, less
I become responsible for moderating all groups, shouldn’t that same principal
apply to platforms like AWS and Twitter?
Yes, it would.  This was an astonnishingly stupid move on AWS's part;
I'm prett sure their counsel was not conmsulted.

I dunno, maybe think of it as a good behavior discount coupon. They're free to build out their own datacenters at their cost if they don't get that coupon. And them not talking to council is what would be astonishing. Mostly likely it's been on all of their radars for quite some time. It's not like it was a secret that it was an open sewer.

Mike