On 1/19/21 6:33 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:

On 1/19/21 11:44 AM, William Herrin wrote:

Cloud = you get virtual servers with virtual storage, generally
adjustable to meet your needs. You manage the operating systems and
storage within the virtual environment. You DO NOT manage the host
operating systems or hypervisors.

It's worth pointing out that nested virtualization is a thing these days, and some providers might even support it!  That means you could buy one large instance and sub-divide it yourself into multiple VMs if you want to.

In practice, unless you need that flexibility to dynamically spin the VMs up and down with various specs AND don't want to or cannot use a provider's API for that, I'm not sure why you'd want to if you didn't have to for some crazy reason.

I'm very curious about your assertion:

Is nested virtualization really a thing?

I mean, I'm not exactly trying to render Pixar's latest movie ... just trying to push some bits around (light web-sites, some e-mail ...)

It just seems inherently prone to issues.

Could you back this up with any white-papers or documentation on the subject? I'm genuinely interested ...

                - bryan