On Apr 24, 2009, at 4:25 AM, Joshua Eyres wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup / inventory. We
currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid and ns4 - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very well, but management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that have a
proper support organisation looking after them.

Yay for management...

IP Service Activator has been mentioned as something which can fit this role, but I haven't had any experience and I haven't heard a lot of good things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that allows configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as the
ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.

Do people generally use free tools for network management or are there
viable commercial alternatives?

A large large number of people use things like RANCID and / or some homegrown things... The people who are using commercial products (for the above role) are usually doing so because they were saddled with these requirements by management and / or are a windows shop..

As you say, RANCID is working well, maybe if you explain the costs involved in installing / migrating to and supporting a commercial product your management will see things saner?

Thanks,
Josh