From: "Baldur Norddahl" <baldur.nordd...@gmail.com>
To: "NANOG" <nanog@nanog.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 3, 2021 5:03:53 PM
Subject: Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:46 PM Mike Hammett < na...@ics-il.net > wrote:

2.4 gigabit per channel, but only 1.2 gigabit from a given access point.

Most often, WISPs choose down\up ratios between 85/15 and 66/34 and then sell
plans appropriately. If we're now required to have a symmetric 100 megs, you'll
be robbing even more of the downstream for the upstream. Why would you do that?
So that you're relatively capable of providing what you're selling. The
alternative is gross oversubscription.

66/34 is 2:1 or exactly the same as GPON (2.4 down, 1.2 up). We sell 1000
symmetrical on that GPON and the customers are happy. You would have much less
oversubscription with 100/100 on a 1.2 Gbps wireless with 66:34 down/up ratio,
than we are doing with GPON and 1000/1000. We are also doing 128 customers on a
single OLT port.

Remember that a single customer only adds a few Mbps peak to your bandwidth
usage.

Regards,

Baldur