> On Oct 21, 2021, at 08:55 , Mel Beckman <m...@beckman.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 21, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com
>> <mailto:o...@delong.com>> wrote:
>>
>> No, but you are ignoring the point of my message…
>>
>> The TCP/IP internet existed _BEFORE_ the flag day you mentioned. The flag
>> day was the end of NCP, not the beginning of TCP/IP. IIRC, at the time,
>
> Owen,
>
> But we’re not talking about the birth of TCP/IP. We’re talking about the
> birth of the capital-I Internet, which by definition runs exclusively on
> TCP/IP, and that didn’t start until Jan 1, 1983. Although there was
> experimentation using IP during 1982, that was still ARPANET. It was the
> guaranteed exclusive availability of IP that made 1983 the Internet’s birth
> date.

IMHO, that’s an absurd definition. It was still ARPANET after January 1, 1983
too. Prior to 1982, it was ARPANET on NCP. During 1982, it was ARPANET running
on NCP+TCP/IP, much like the Internet runs dual stack today on IPv4 and IPv6.

In 1983, NCP was removed from most of the backbone, as I hope will happen with
IPv4 in the next few years.

> And no, it’s not analogous to the eventual IPv6 transition, because both IPv5
> and IPv4 are Capital-I Internet standard protocols.

You’re picking arbitrary definitions of Capital-I Internet standards. NCP was
every bit as standardized as TCP/IP in 1982.

Both were documented in the same IEN series of documents.

IEN later (well after TCP/IP) evoked to become RFC.

Don’t believe me? Look at the hosts.txt file from IPv4 days which still
referenced IEN116.

Owen