On 10/23/21 11:52 AM, Ca By wrote:

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 10:33 AM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

    So I'm curious how the mobile operators deploying ipv6 to the
    handsets are dealing with ipv4. The simplest would be to get the
    phone a routable ipv4 address, but that would seemingly exacerbate
    the reason they went to v6 in the first place.

First, consider that the 3  major cell carriers in the usa each have 100 million customers.  Also, consider they all now have a home broadband angle. Where do 100 million ipv4 addresses come from?  Not rfc 1918, not arin, … and we are just talking about customer ip addresses, not considering towers, backend systems, call centers, retail ….

So the genesis of 464xlat / rfc 6877 is that ipv4 cannot go where we need to go, the mobile architecture must be ipv6 to be comply with the e2e principle and not constrain the scaling of the customers / edge. Other cell carriers believe in operating many unique ipv4 networks … like a 10.0.0.0/8 <http://10.0.0.0/8> per metro, but even that breaks down and cannot scale… and you end up with proxies / nats / sbcs everywhere just to make internal apps like ims work, which is a lot of state.

464, that's what i was looking for... there are so many transition schemes i wasn't sure which one they chose. So it's essentially double NAT'ing. Does that require TURN too for streaming? I can't remember what the limitations of STUN are.

    Are carriers NAT'ing somewhere along the line? If so, where? Like
    does the phone encapsulate v4 in 4-in-6? Or does the phone get a
    net 10 address and it gets NAT'd by the carrier?

~80% of traffic goes to fb, goog, yt, netflix, bing, o364, hbomax, apple tv, … all of which are ipv6. So, only 20% of traffic requires nat, when you have ipv6. I am hoping tiktoc and aws move to be default on for ipv6 soon.

Yeah, aws is the most glaring since it probably hosts a significant portion of the long tail. it appears that aws only supports v6 with vpn's. Google only appears to support v6 if you use their load balancer. Sad.

Mike