Before you start reading, yes, I fully understand how silly this question is.
But I need to give _something_ to a customer who has the ability to run
ping/traceroute but nothing else.  (And they have an intermittent latency
problem that we haven’t been able to isolate yet.)

Does anyone curate a list of “useful” ICMP responders that are at least
kinda-sorta reliable/expected to continue responding?  For example, all the
major anycast DNS cloud providers respond to ICMP, but I don’t really want to
tell my customer to ping an anycast IP address because the RTT results will be
useless data (for comparative purposes).
I’m also not excited about providing random router IP address for what should
be obvious reasons.  There are some IPs that my routing paths that should be
stable, but between routing changes and control-plane policing, those aren’t
awesome.  I’m looking for IPs I can suggest that are well outside my network.

Restatement: yes, there are much better ways to diagnose problems, but my
customer can only run ping & traceroute (and pathping, I suppose) and is
capable enough to run those tools and self-assess before calling me.

It sounds foolish to even ask, but maybe there’s a resource out there I don’t
know about…
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athomp...@merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athomp...@merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>