From: "Sabri Berisha" <sa...@cluecentral.net>
To: "nanog" <nanog@nanog.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 3:01:27 PM
Subject: Re: home router battery backup

----- On Jan 12, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Andy Ringsmuth a...@andyring.com wrote:

Hi,

>> On Jan 12, 2022, at 11:35 AM, Scott T Anderson via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org>
>> wrote:
>> services, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on the prevalence of
>> battery backup for home modem/routers? I.e., what percentage of home users
>> actually install a battery backup in their home modem/router or use an
>> external
>> UPS?

> Given that most people barely even know what their home router is, I suspect
> the
> percentage would be somewhere south of 1 percent. Outside of my home, I
> honestly cannot recall EVER seeing someone’s home using a battery backup for
> their internet infrastructure.

Same here. A small UPS that will keep my modem, router, and POE for APs alive
for
the time I need to run outside and hook up my generator when PG&E decides to
cut
the power again. A bigger UPS for the small 19" rack that hosts some stuff.

Top Gear Top Tip: I also have a UPS on my garage door opener. That saves the
misses from dealing with manually opening/closing the garage door if I'm not
at home.

Thanks,

Sabri