Christopher Morrow <morrowc.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the advice in the draft, and on the quoted page of Google cloud
> docs is that you can use whatever address space you want for your voc
> network. I think it also says that choosing poorly could make portions if
> the internet unreachable.
>
> I don't see that the docs specify usage of 240/4 though.

Thank you for catching this!  Draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240 links its
reference [VPC] to:

  https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/vpc#valid-ranges

As late as March 18, 2022, that page included a table of "Valid ranges"
that include "240.0.0.0/4", which you can see in the Internet Archive's
"Wayback Machine" copy of the page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20220318080636/https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/vpc

  A subnet's primary and secondary IP address ranges are regional
  internal IP addresses. The following table describes valid ranges.  ...

  240.0.0.0/4               Reserved for future use (Class E) as noted in
                            RFC 5735 and RFC 1112.

                            Some operating systems do not support the
                            use of this range, so verify that your OS
                            supports it before creating subnets that use
                            this range.

However, as of March 20, Google moved that table into a subsidiary page,
the "Subnets overview", which is now linked from the original page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20220320031522/https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/vpc

http://web.archive.org/web/20220328102630/https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/subnets

The same information about 240/4 is there.

Thanks again for the bug report!  We'll update the URL in the next
version of the draft.

        John