I think you’re jumping to conclusions that Sony is doing this purely from the
darkness in their hearts. The same thing could be said about Netflix and Hulu
blocking traffic from addresses that appear as proxies/VPNs. Like it or not we
had many years where the primary expectation of the Internet was that you could
map a single ISP customer back to an IP address and MANY services still cling
to this belief.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/21/05/22/0151220/6th-grader-expelled-after-zoom-provided-possibly-inaccurate-ip-address

This is why we have situations like this where even law enforcement agencies
can’t seem to wrap their heads around multiple customers all sharing the same
IP address. You have to remember that a majority of people do not see all this
behind the scenes stuff so as far as they are concerned the Internet will
continue working as it always has and any deviation in that is a problem with
the ISP when all of their friends can connect fine except for them.