Worse yet, this ship sailed anyway even farther with a ton of devices using
private/dynamic MAC addresses ...

FWIW, large-ish ISP here, originally an ipv4-only shop. A few years back we
overhauled everything and naively tried to go all ipv6, since we owned the
data/voice terminals and set top boxes. DidnĀ“t quite work out that way, and
wound up spending gobs of money on CGNAT ... but our most demanding
customers really appreciate the reduction in latency they get when using
ipv6 and skipping that extra processing layer.

As usual, YMMV...  jlr

(snip)