On 5/20/22 10:24, Saku Ytti wrote:

That's engineering, understanding what risks and compromises are worth
carrying. If you do it by the book, you're not even needed, just
0-rate AS/PS services to your RFP and the vendor is happy to do it by
the book for you.
And fully agreed, in many cases it makes sense to run boxes to the
ground until they physically stop working. You just need to figure out
how to handle the MTTR well.

We are going to need more 100Gbps data centre switching in other PoP's in the coming months, and we like the 7508E for this, even if Arista have EoL'ed it. So for those builds, we'll grab them off the open market, and cold spare with a full chassis in copy. Way cheaper than when we bought them from Arista, even with the ongoing mark-up on the pre-owned space.

Arista are also not developing anymore new or maintenance code for the supervisor that runs on the 7508E, but we are fine with that because this is not an Internet-facing box, and is only doing Layer 2 with features that will never change (802.1Q and LACP is about as advanced as it gets, for us).

Mark.