I suspect, although I have no references, that satellite to ground
connectivity is probably more “circuit-based” than per-packet or frame.

Iridium has done inter satellite communication for decades. I wonder if it
wouldn’t be something very similar. Although it would be totally on-brand
for them to do it some “revolutionary” new way whether it actually makes
any sense or not.