> 1) It's amazing how many threads end up ending in the (correct) summary
that making an even minor global change to the way the internet works
and/or is configured to enable some potentially useful feature isn't likely
to happen.

My biggest take-away from this is that software and network engineering
design decisions should be more thoughtful and methodical when setting
address space, number space, name space and size/expandability of whatever
is being configured when designing new things. Even if you think whatever
you've created is inexhaustible for your own purposes. Once something has
been put into widespread use it's extremely difficult to come back and fix
it later.

Such as for ISP internal purposes, like thinking about "okay what if we
take this DNS zone delegation for our internal management network and set
it aside for a vast number of CPEs in the future, hierarchically organized
by where they're going to be installed geographically, for our internal
hostnames and reverse DNS".

I'm sure that the vast global address space of ipv4 looked incredibly large
when put into use as a standard...

Or if you've ever seen an organization that internally set up its
accounting/billing/customer circuit ID system with a namespace/number-space
that didn't scale to meet future needs, or categorization of customers, or
integration of circuit IDs into automation systems.