Apparently iCloud’s hide my email implementation can only be used with one
recipient, so here was my reply to Josh (apologies to him for the spam), for
posterity:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Double NAT tends to break things like ZeroTier.

But even if that wasn’t a problem for us, I think the more pressing concern
here is that the default admin password for the router is “password”, and you
can’t change it without a tech coming out to change it for you, and shelling
out $50.

Who knows how many residential routers are in their fleet that are “password”
protected; seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

The model was an Evolution Digital EVO3000GW — thankfully they were able to
swap it out with a non-router modem that I had sent to her over the weekend,
but not without making a few phone calls, first. It didn’t seem like they could
provision the new modem remotely.

If anyone has a more security-focused forum they could recommend for a post
like this, I’ll be happy to take my inquiry elsewhere.

Cheers,
Todd