On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 9:09 PM Forrest Christian (List Account) <
li...@packetflux.com> wrote:

> I can't speak for aptum, but I'm curious as to why this is important to
> you?   I'm not trying to discount this at all,  just curious why this
> matters in the internet of 2023.
>
> I went through a couple years back and removed all of our mostly outdated
> SWIP data and replaced it with generic information.  But I run an eyeballs
> network and I don't remember the last time we allocated something shorter
> than a /28 to a customer.
>
> I can think of a couple reasons it might be good for the swip to still
> reflect the actual customer.   But most of the ones I can think of don't
> apply as much anymore.   About the only things I can think about which may
> matter has to do with reverse dns delegation if the parent block is smaller
> than a /16 and maybe having specific contact or address information in
> specific circumstances.
>
> Mainly I'm asking to update my personal knowledge of how these records are
> used anymore.

Without taking rdns into consideration, a primary use is managing whois
data to enable proper routing of abuse reports. So for an eyeball network,
you probably want those routed to your organization since most of your
customers won't have IT staff capable of dealing with them.

- mdh

Matt Harris
VP OF INFRASTRUCTURE
Follow us on LinkedIn!