From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+ryan=rkhtech....@nanog.org> on behalf of Mark Tinka
<mark@tinka.africa>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 10:31 PM
To: nanog@nanog.org <nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: Re: 10G CPE w/VXLAN - vendors?

Caution: This is an external email and may be malicious. Please take care when
clicking links or opening attachments.

On 6/14/23 21:16, Joe Freeman wrote:

I think you’re probably overthinking this a bit.

Why do you need to extend your vxlan/evpn to the customer premise? There are a
number of 1G/10G even 100G CPE demarc devices out there that push/pop tags,
even q-in-q, or 802.1ad. Assuming you have some type of aggregation node you
bring these back to, tie those tags to the appropriate EVPN instance at the
aggregation point. Don’t extend anything but a management tag and an S-tag
essentially to the device at the customer premise.

You can even put that management tagged vlan in it’s own L3 segment, or a
larger L3 network and impose security. This way you’re not exposing your whole
service infrastructure to a bad actor that might unplug your cpe device and
plug into your network directly.

The reason customers ask that their site be part of the customer's Metro-E
backbone is so that they can enjoy link redundancy without paying for it.

Operators will generally have east and west links coming out of a Metro-E site.
Customers who single-home into this device only have their last mile as the
risk. But if the operator drops a Metro-E node into the customer's site, and
cables it per standard, the customer has the benefit of last mile redundancy,
because the internal fibre/copper patch to the operator's Metro-E switch does
not really count as a (risky) last mile.

Sales people like to do this to engender themselves with the customer.

Customers like to do this to get a free meal.

Don't do it, because customer's always assume that that Metro-E node that is in
their building "belongs to them".

Mark.