On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 3:34 PM William Herrin <b...@herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 6:28 AM Tom Beecher <beec...@beecher.cc> wrote:
> > My understanding has always been that 30ms was set based on human
> perceptibility. 30ms was the average point at which the average person
> could start to detect artifacts in the audio.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Jitter doesn't necessarily cause artifacts in the audio. Modern
> applications implement what's called a "jitter buffer." As the name
> implies, the buffer collects and delays audio for a brief time before
> playing it for the user. This allows time for the packets which have
> been delayed a little longer (jitter) to catch up with the earlier
> ones before they have to be played for the user. Smart implementations
> can adjust the size of the jitter buffer to match the observed
> variation in delay so that sound quality remains the same regardless
> of jitter.
>
> Indeed, on Zoom I barely noticed audio artifacts for a friend who was
> experiencing 800ms jitter. Yes, really, 800ms. We had to quit our
> gaming session because it caused his character actions to be utterly
> spastic, but his audio came through okay.
>
> The problem, of course, is that instead of the audio delay being the
> average packet delay, it becomes the maximum packet delay.

Yes. I talked to this point in my apnic session here:
https://blog.apnic.net/2020/01/22/bufferbloat-may-be-solved-but-its-not-over-yet/

I called it "riding the TCP sawtooth"- the compensating voip delay becomes
equal to the maximum size of the buffer, and thus controls the jitter that
way. Sometimes, to unreasonable extents, like 800ms in your example.

--
Oct 30: https://netdevconf.info/0x17/news/the-maestro-and-the-music-bof.html
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos