On 10/6/23 15:07, Mike Hammett wrote:

I've been using various forms of passive WDM for years. I have a couple
different projects on my plate that require me to look at the next level of
platform.

In some projects, I'll be looking for needing to have someone long distances of
glass without any electronics. Some spans could be over 60 miles.

In some projects, I'll need to transport multiple 100-gig waves.

What is the landscape like between basic passive and something like a 30
terabit Ciena? I know of multiple vendors in that space, but I like to learn
more about what features I need and what features I don't need from somewhere
other than the vendor's mouth. Obviously, the most reliability at the least
cost as well.

400G-ZR pluggables will get you 400Gbps on a p2p dark fibre over 80km - 100km. So your main cost there will be routers that will support.

The smallest DCI solution from the leading DWDM vendors is likely to be your cheapest option. Alternatively, if you are willing to look at the open market, you can find gear based on older CMOS (40nm, for example), which will now be EoL for any large scale optical network, but cost next to nothing for a start-up with considerable capacity value.

There is a DWDM vendor that showed up on the scene back in 2008 or thereabouts. They were selling a very cheap, 1U box that had a different approach to DWDM from other vendors at the time. I, for the life of me, cannot remember their name - but I do know that Randy introduced them to me back then. Maybe he can remember :-). Not sure if they are still in business.

Mark.