On 10/25/23 01:56, Neader, Brent wrote:

Hello!

Interested in getting the larger community’s thought on this.

The primary question being does XGS-PON have a place in providing a dedicated enterprise level service (at least sold as one) in the marketplace?  Delivered via a residential (per the data sheet description) CPE, Nokia XS-010X-Q for a 1gb/1gb dedicated symmetrical service.

Background, ive dealt with 30+ providers over the last 18 years, primarily last mile based.  Typically we seek out an Enterprise/Dedicated service, with an SLA, typically delivered via DWDM, CWDM, or AE, or equivalent.  We have also had a site or two delivered via a PON variant, typically with less of an SLA, typically maybe half to quarter of the price of a dedicated service.  Price & SLA sets the expectation of the service, CPE provided, underlying technology, etc.

Dealing with a large over-builder right now who has an “elite” enterprise product (highest of 3 tiers) advertised as the following.

-100% dedicated bandwidth so you never have to compete for speed

-Mission Critical Reliability with 99.999% guaranteed uptime

-Financially backed SLA with the most stringent performance objectives

-Enterprise-level customer service and technical support

Now I understand with XGS, you can have various QOS in place (WRR/SP, etc), but inherently there are still shared splits involved, that just aren’t a thing in other truly dedicated technologies.  Expectations were set with the provider’s sales team around what was to be delivered and how it was to be delivered that seemingly haven’t been met by the product and service team.

That aside, from an SP perspective, is it capable to wrap enough layers around service to be “dedicated” even when delivered via a conflicting underlying technology? Or could that be considered disingenuous for those that want to know and understand the difference?  Im hoping the service itself and support team make up for the difference, but obviously a little concerned.

Regular GPON is already being used to deliver Enterprise services, purely because it "passes by the office complex" on its way to the residential neighborhood. Even when the Sales team are told not to use GPON for Enterprise services, they end up doing so... first as a "temporary, we have told the customer all the pitfalls" solution, which eventually becomes permanent, and then it grows like wildfire.

You can expect that XG-PON will go the same way.

Mark.