Hi, Owen:

0)    I am glad that you do not object to the notion that two premises on an RAN can establish end-to-end connectivity via L2 routing.

1)    For a better visualization, the below derivation will make use of figures in the EzIP Draft:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space

    A.    As I stated, premises on RAN1 (served by SPR1 - 69.41.190.110)and premises on RAN4 (served by SPR4 - 69.41.190.148) in Figure 1 can communicate with one another via L2 routing based on 240/4, respectively. Since the 240/4 pool is large enough to serve the entire population of most countries, each needs only one RAN to provide the basic end-to-end connectivity for daily life of all citizens. Thus, Intra-RAN direct connectivity is provided.

    B.    Similarly, SPR1 (69.41.190.110)and SPR4 (69.41.190.148)can communicate with each other by L2 routing via the Internet core routers (utilizing plain IPv4 headers as well).

    C.    For T1z (192.168.1.9) on Premises 1 (240.0.0.0) to communicate with IoT T4z (246.1.6.40), we will need to extend the plain IPv4 header used in Step B. above by utilizing RFC791 to carry the 240/4 addresses as Option words. Figure 16 shows an EzIP header configured for such a situation. Note that Word 9 represents the port numbers of IoTs on RGs. Since T4z is an IoT directly connect to SPR4, only the value (9N) for T1z is meaningful.

    D.    An IP packet with header in the form of Figure 16 can be delivered, if

        a.    Routers between SPR1 and SPR4 will treat it as a plain IPv4 packet (i.e., ignoring the Option words), and,

        b.    SPRs recognize the Option words and make use of then to route the packets across the RANs.

2)    For Step 1) D. a., it is said that many network routers drop packets having Option word due to certain security ("IP Source Route" attacks?) concerns. Although, there have been reports that such packets did get through certain routes anyway. This scheme is similar as those dropping 240/4 addressed packets. So, disabling such mechanism along the desired path may be feasible.

3)    For Step 1) D. b., enhanced SPR programs will be needed to recognize the Option words for utilizing them to route when the inter-RAN direct connectivity mode is activated.

        So, direct world-wide end-to-end connectivity is possible based on the EzIP scheme.

4)    However, economics comes into play when considering to deploy Step 1) D. at this juncture. Since the Internet has evolved into the predominantly CDN model whose architecture is a master-slave hierarchy, subscribers desiring for direct inter-RAN connectivity is likely a much smaller subset among those desiring for Intra-RAN connectivity. This is like comparing international mail versus the domestic counter part. It may be difficult to justify efforts for Steps 2) & 3), before the demand becomes universal upon the general public realizing the possible functions. Instead, one of the old PSTN practices may be mimicked here as the interim solution. That is, the telephony "Foreign Exchange" setup used to enable a subscriber at distance to appear on local telephone services. It was achieved by permanently "nailed-up" a telephone extension wiring (started from a pair of actual physical copper wires in the earlier days to a dedicated voice channel in a digital multiplex environment) to a business that is remote from a community it serves. I am sure that the equivalent capability already exists in the Internet and is being used somewhere. This can be utilized to set up the extension link between any two RANs having the need.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-24 12:28 EST)