> It that always true? I'd started off thinking that, but a friend of mine
> (yes, the same one that started this  argument) convinced me that
> some forms of BGP summarization/aggregation don't always generate a "local"
> route…
>
> I'd also thought that I'd seen this when redistributing an IGP into BGP,
> and using that as a contributor to 'aggregate-address' on Cisco devices.
> This is from a long time ago, and really hazy now, but I'd thought that any
> contributor would cause that the aggregate-address route to be announced,
> and a local hold down not to be created.  It's possible that a: I'm just
> wrong b: this is not longer true, c: both of the above.

By spec, a route cannot be put into Adj-RIB-Out and announced to a peer
UNLESS that route exists in Loc-RIB, with a resolvable next-hop. ( RFC
4721, 9.1.3 . Your friend may need this :) )

It's certainly possible that a BGP implementation exists that violates this
rule, or hides the fact that it's doing this, but if it's standards
compliant this is what should be happening.