I'm jumping on an earlier part of the thread.

Based on what I heard at the Members Meeting and several follow up hallway
conversations, I think:

  *   NANOG needs a focus group on attendees. A survey won't do it, we need a
deep dive into roles, interests, career level, and why they attend.
  *   Somebody or somebodies should be specifically tasked with following up
with every one of the 120 newcomer attendees to ask what it would take to get
them to come back. Our conversion rate to repeat attendee is a key performance
indicator. There's a great Newcomer Orientation just before conference opening;
let's have a Newcomer Lessons Learned at the end.
  *   Poll attendees on relative importance of location, registration fee,
programming, side meeting space. Iterate based on comments (location = airport?
Hotel? Nearby amenities? Proximity to home?)
  *   Survey sponsors. I give feedback to staff and occasional board members,
but there's no clear way to gather information.
  *   These should be sent to the Members in advance of a Members Meeting to
discuss. Needs more than 20 minutes of a 45 minute meeting before main
programming.
  *   Consider empaneling a Mission Committee to review NANOG's mission and how
to fulfill it.

Other thoughts, which I couldn't submit in a survey or find another way to send
to the board or staff:

  *   I suggested in San Diego and now bring to the list: the last item on the
agenda should be 15-30 minutes of "What are you taking home from this NANOG?"
     *   Helps remind people what value they got
     *   Lets us know what people found most valuable (Specific sessions? deals
done? Trends in hallway topics?)
     *   Solidifies for people what they can offer their boss as the value of
sending them to NANOG
  *   We should look into cooperating with other network organizations for
meetings. WISPAmerica, NRECA, NTCA, Fiber Connect, SCTE, IETF
  *   ARIN has a help desk in the main hall. Allow other sponsors to put up a
Help Desk. Put up a sign showing which company will be there for which half-day
increment. I think a lot of attendees would find value in the ability to sit
down with a senior sales engineer at their favorite router, optical, or
intelligence vendor to say, "Here's my problem," even if many of those
conversations resulted in "Let's schedule time to discuss in more depth."
     *   Price it like BnG-you're getting ½ day of visibility, less distraction
than meal/break sponsors
     *   Require swag to be incidentals like pens and stickers-if you're
getting a mad rush of people, you're missing the point

This can't all be done in time for Kansas City, but maybe some of it can be.
Given that hotel contracts are negotiated two years in advance, I figure we
have about two years to get this right before it's too late to steer the ship
away from the rocks.

Let me close with: I think we have an excellent board, all of whom love this
community and have spent years thinking about this. The lack of a CEO is a
problem soon to be resolved, and that will help support the already excellent
staff. There are themes we've been hearing for several meetings in a row, and I
know the board is giving them a lot of thought, and I'm just trying to support
those efforts from outside the board.

Maybe this should have gone to the members mailing list, but I couldn't find
one.

Lee