From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+ryan=rkhtech....@nanog.org> on behalf of William
Herrin <b...@herrin.us>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2024 8:03 PM
To: John R. Levine <jo...@iecc.com>
Cc: nanog@nanog.org <nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: Re: IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

Caution: This is an external email and may be malicious. Please take care when
clicking links or opening attachments.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 7:41 PM John R. Levine <jo...@iecc.com> wrote:
> > That it's possible to implement network security well without using
> > NAT does not contradict the claim that NAT enhances network security.
>
> I think we're each overgeneralizing from our individual expeience.
>
> You can configure a V6 firewall to be default closed as easily as you can
> configure a NAT.

Hi John,

We're probably not speaking the same language. You're talking about
configuring the function of one layer in a security stack. I'm talking
about adding or removing a layer in a security stack. Address
overloaded NAT in conjunction with private internal addresses is an
additional layer in a security stack. It has security-relevant
properties that the other layers don't duplicate. Regardless of how
you configure it.

Also, you can't "configure" a layer to be default closed. That's a
property of the security layer. It either is or it is not.

You can configure a layer to be "default deny," which I assume is what
you meant. The issue is that anything that can be configured can be
accidentally unconfigured. When default-deny is accidentally
unconfigured, the network becomes wide open. When NAT is accidentally
unconfigured, the network stops functioning entirely. The gate is
closed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--