Quite often I’m looking for OOBM at antenna sites or in remote DCs where there
is no Plan B carrier. Cellular has always been the goto choice for this, but we
keep getting pushed out of contracts by technology upgrades. 2g, then 3g, and
next 4g LTE are being deprecated.

The main reason for network shutdowns is that the carriers have limited
spectrum available for expansion. To deliver faster, more cost effective data
service to customers, carriers must re-use existing spectrum licenses with
newer, more efficient cellular technology. Old 2G/3G infrastructure makes way
for new networks, and older cellular devices must be retired. 4g may have a
decade left before complete absence, but its footprint is already shrinking
where 5G is available.

I’ve seen this first hand with 4g cellular alarm circuits: suddenly they get
less reliable or fail completely, and the reason always turns out to be
degraded RSSI due to 5G deployment.

So 5G is imperative for cellular OOBM, hence the hunt for COTS drop-in
replacements that won’t break the bank. Upgrading, for example, 100 antenna
sites is also a major truck roll cost, so we want to get it right the first
time.  Physical space and power limitations usually rule out 1U rackmount
refurb Cisco terminal servers, which is why we need 0U gear. Yes, I can cobble
together a raspberry pi and some hats and cables and dingles and dangles and
make a science fair solution. But I need something that is commercially
supported, won’t have me scratching my head later about what version of the
Ubuntu is going to work, and won’t randomly fry its electronics during a power
surge.

It’s looking like that solution is firmly priced at ~$500 today.

 -mel