On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, William Herrin wrote:

At the cost of low-volume production run hardware which is A. much more expensive (because of the low volume), B. restricted to a few supported routers and C. less thoroughly tested. I don't see how you come out ahead in that calculation.

The only way to do it would be to make this a standard in the next evolution of Ethernet, perhaps 400GE. I don't see this happening though.

But the only REASON to do it, would be to lessen overhead for small packets. I don't see how you can not see this.

My understanding is that 9000 is a standard for GigE and up but for compatibility with earlier ethernets it's not the default. You have to explicitly configure it and you must configure it the same on every host and switch within the broadcast zone. For a point to point link, this should be trivial.

No, IEEE says only 1500 payload MTU. This was discussed in 40GE and 100GE, and IEEE left the framesize the same way it's always been.

I gather from your list that not everything which supports gige also supports jumbo frames but that most things do.

Yes, but that doesn't make it standard. It makes it common.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se