> At least once a year I like to go out and kick the service entrance
> breaker to give the whole enchilada an honest to $diety plugs out test.
> As you said, not recommenced if you don't maintain stuff, but that's
> how
> confident I feel that my system works.

Nature has a way of testing it, even if you don't. :)

For those who haven't seen this occur, make sure you have a plan in case your
breaker doesn't flip back to the normal position, or your transfer switch stops
switching (in either direction -- for example, it fuses itself into the
"generator/emergency" position).

For small supplies (say <1MW) it's not as big a deal, but when the breakers in
a bigger facility can weigh hundreds of pounds each and can take months to
replace, these are real issues and will test your sparing, consistency and
other disciplines.

Deepak Jain
AiNET