The big problem here is that CIDR is tough to teach, even to engineering students. This seems bizarre and counterintuitive, but its true. I know this because I've done it. Its really easy to teach classful addressing, on the other hand. Other problems include the issue that many of the folks teaching have never had to use CIDR in real life, textbook age, and, in some cases, lack of mathematical preparation and inclination on the part of students.

Scarier: I was teaching graduate students.

- Dan

On Oct 13, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

On 2009-10-13, at 07:39, Scott Morris wrote:

No idea, I haven't looked at that stuff in a while. But I would assume
so, as it's easier to build a foundation than jumping straight to
something difficult?

I've found RIP to be a reasonable way to teach the concept of a routing protocol, since the protocol is very simple and you can always close with "don't ever use this".

But teaching classful routing and addressing is just moronic. It's a foundation that nothing is built on any more, and makes no sense to teach outside of a history class.

Or did you learn calculus in grade school?  Just askin'   ;)

Yes, since you asked, but your presumption is faulty.

Joe