Michael Sokolov wrote:

Wait a moment here.  With a MAN/WAN involving wires/fiber running over
public property, what one is paying for is the right to use those wires
for your data, right?  The wires themselves do NOT run Ethernet at the
electrical level, so if you have some "MAN/WAN Ethernet" service, there
is a black box of some kind that converts the native electrical signal
format to Ethernet.  Why not take that black box out of service, use it
for baseball practice (Office Space style), and use the exact same
wires/fiber (rented at exactly the same monthly recurring price) in its
native non-Ethernet form?

Well, I have an OC-12 upstairs that has an Overture box attached to it because: Ethernet is not tariffed and the OC-12 is. The price difference between the two was substantial (even though it's the same thing) and I was going for "cheap alternate path". If they were the same price I would have probably just taken it directly.

~Seth