On 2/17/2010 5:32 PM, Laczo, Louis wrote:
Folks,

I'm looking for comments / suggestions / opinions from any providers that have
been contacted by spamhaus about excessive queries originating from their DNS
resolvers, typically, as a proxy for customers. I know that certain large DNS
providers (i.e. google and level3) have either been banned or have voluntarily
blocked spamhaus queries by their resolvers. We're currently in discussion with
spamhaus and I wanted to see how others may have handled this.
Assuming you're already running a local caching server for your mail system...

Based on the spamhaus fee structure (# of e-mail accounts), our policy is to allow spamhaus to block queries from our public resolvers if they choose. The spamhaus folks certainly deserve compensation for their efforts, so customers that need such volume should do so from their own IP and pay a fee. While I believe it might be mutually beneficial for spamhaus to offer some sort of a recursive DNS provider/ISP fee structure, I can see where enforcement would be a problem. The resolution of that particular problem belongs to spamhaus and their individual users/customers.

/Jason