On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:36 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
>> On 05/03/2010, at 2:50 PM, David Conrad wrote:
>>> When the IPv4 free pool is exhausted, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll
>>> quickly find that reclaiming pretty much any IPv4 space will quickly become
>>> worth the effort.
>>
>> Only to the extent that the cost of IPv6 migration exceeds the cost
>> of recovering space.
>
> You're remembering to include the cost of migrating both sides, for all
> combinations of sides interested in communicating, right?  In some cases,
> that cost for one of those sides will be quite high.
>
>> There's sure to be an upper-bound on the cost of v4 space, limited by the
>> magnitude of effort required to do whatever you want to do without v4.
>
> The interesting question is at what point _can_ you do what you want without
> IPv4.  It seems obvious that that point will be after the IPv4 free pool is
> exhausted, and as such, allocated-but-not-efficiently-used addresses will
> likely become worth the effort to reclaim.

Ah, but, that assumes that the need is located in a similar part of the network
to the reclamation, or, that the point of reclamation can be sufficiently
motivated
to do so by the money offered by the point of need.

I suspect the organizations that have excess space and know where it is are
likely to hold onto it as a hedge against their future needs, or, try to extract
a very high market premium for it.

Owen