On 7/13/2010 4:53 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:00 PM,<khatfi...@socllc.net>  wrote:

I agree software-based deployments have their flaws but I do not agree that it
cannot be managed securely with comparable or exceeding uptime -vs- a drop in
appliance. I firmly believe it has it's place in 'today's internet'.

When a single botted/misbehaving host easily can take down a software-based
BRAS, that's a pretty strong indication that software-based edge devices are
contraindicated, heh.

Software-based edge devices have been obsolete for a long time, now.  They're a
great risk to operators who've yet to replace them with hardware-based devices.

They are all software based, no matter who builds them. Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS, etc.

--Curtis