I haven't done real world testing with Vyatta but we consistently pass 750KPPS+
without the slightest hiccup on our FreeBSD routing systems.

Correct hardware with the right configuration can make all of the difference.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobb...@arbor.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:15:18
To: NANOG list<nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: Re: Vyatta as a BRAS

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

> It's interesting.  One can get equally militant and say that hardware based
> routers are irrelevant in many applications.

When BCPs are followed, they don't tend to fall over the moment someone hits
them with a few kpps of packets - which should be a key criteria for an edge
device.

The same can't be said of software-based devices.

If maintaining availability is important, then hardware-based (semantic
hairsplitting aside) devices are a requirement.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken