http://whois.iana.org

> what did I win? IANA can handle very basic assignments, but hasn't the staff
> for large support or extra services (whois, POC management/validity, routing
> registry).

With the exception of a routing registry (which I wasn't aware was an address
allocation requirement), these services are provided by ICANN as part of the
IANA functions contract.  Out of curiosity, why do you think providing whois,
POC management/validity, and even a routing registry requires a large staff?

> I think IANA would be perfect for ULA identifier assignments. No
> whois/poc/routing registry needed. Send email, get an identifier in a week or
> 2.

As you note, ICANN already provides something like this as part of the protocol
parameter function of the IANA functions contract for private enterprise
numbers (OIDs).

> This is my concern. A business would rather be assured uniqueness over
> gambling, no matter what the odds.

I remember arguments like that about why Token Ring was going to win over
Ethernet :-)

> Given no additional services are needed, the administration cost is the same
> as handing out snmp enterprise oids. The fact that the community isn't
> offering such due to politics is disheartening and just plain sad.

Indeed.  I have stories...

Regards,
-drc
(who no longer works for ICANN)