I know of one large-ish provider that does it exactly like that - RIPv2 between
POP edge routers and provider-managed CPE. In addition to the simplicity, it
lets them filter routes at redistribution without having to fiddle with
inter-area OSPF (or, ghod forbid, multiple OSPF processes redistributing
between each other...)

Where folks run into trouble is vendors that decide that RIP is so
under-utilized they don't need to fully support or QA it anymore.
Implementations tend to be a bit more..."quirky" than OSPF or BGP running on
the same box. And occasionally you run into the odd vendor that doesn't care
about things like being able to adjust hello/dead intervals...

-C