On Jan 6, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> On 1/6/2011 9:28 PM, Dan Wing wrote:
>>>
>>> Skype could make it work with direct UDP packets in about 92% of
>>> cases, per Google's published direct-to-direct statistic at
>>> http://code.google.com/apis/talk/libjingle/important_concepts.html
>>>
>> If one end is behind a NAT64 and there is no mechanism for discovering the
>> NAT64's IPv6 interface prefix and mapping algorithm (and at present there is
>> not), there is no way to send IPv6 IP packets from the IPv6-only host to
>> IPv4 literal addresses (that is to say, addresses learned via a mechanism
>> other than DNS responses synthesized by the DNS64 part of the NAT64
>> "solution") on the IPv4 Internet through said NAT64.
>>
>> That's the case we're discussing here.
>>
>> It breaks Skype, Adobe's RTMFP, BitTorrent, ICE-based NAT traversal, etc.
>> Even the protocol described in the referenced document, Jingle (as it
>> essentially uses ICE) fails. The candidate IPv4 addresses for the end that's
>> on the IPv4 Internet (local and STUN-derived) that are delivered over
>> Jingle's XMPP path cannot be used by the host that is on IPv6 + NAT64 to
>> reach the IPv4 Internet because it has no IPv4 sockets available to it and
>> even if it knew that NAT64 existed (which would take a modification to the
>> Jingle-based apps) and opened an IPv6 socket it wouldn't know what IPv6
>> address to use to reach the IPv4 host because there's no discovery
>> mechanism. If you want we can take this back to the BEHAVE list now.
>
> To paraphrase what you're saying: stuff that embeds and passes around IPv4
> addresses will break.  I'm sorry to say this, but that's just reality.
> Embedded IP addresses has always been a Bad Idea (tm) in development and
> operations, and I don't think P2P protocols get a pass - building your own
> discovery and topology mechanisms don't insulate you from having to use the
> underlying network.

No, it hasn't always been a Bad Idea. It has been an idea fraught with peril
since the deployment of overloaded NAT in IPv4.

Fortunately, overloaded NAT will hopefully be a thing of the past in IPv6 and
we may get a chance to return to a more functional
end-to-end model of networking again.

> The best chance anybody has, is to build dual-stack support and start using
> DNS names rather than IP numbers.  Oh, and expect IPv4 to start breaking in
> the near future.  We're trying to make IPv4 work long enough to survive the
> transition, but it's not a good bet for new protocols.

On this, at least we agree.

Owen