On Jan 5, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> I would like to note that RADB had route6: support in about 2004 or
> so, if my memory serves me; while the ARIN database did not accept
> route6 objects until about a year ago.  So it is not exactly a high
> priority for ARIN.

The priority of IRR at ARIN is based on community feedback and
direction.  There is no particular reason for ARIN to focus on
ongoing IRR enhancements, if the community isn't asking for such.

ARIN needs to stay focused on its mission, and prioritize all work
accordingly. There has not been a clear consensus from the community
one way or the other about enhancing the IRR services as part of
that mission, nor on deeming it to be outside of the mission and
phasing out the services.  This makes it somewhat challenging for
the Board and staff to discern the right approach, and leaves us
simply maintaining the status quo for these services.

Should IRR services be part of the ARIN mission?  ARIN-discuss
would be a great mailing list on which to discuss this topic, or
(along the lines of Randy's earlier comments) on this NANOG list,
if the mailing list folks consider it to be on topic.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN