On 1/10/2011 9:31 AM, Brandon Kim wrote:
Would you say that it's fair to say that if you are serious at all
about being a service provider that your core equipment is Cisco
based?

Am I limiting myself by thinking that Cisco is the "de facto" vendor
of choice? I'm not looking for so much "fanboy" responses, but more
of a real world experience of what you guys use that actually work
and does the job.....

You have to really narrow the network criteria. What's good for DSL subscriber termination with or without subscriber management features (on router, or handled externally), in core networks a t1/t3/oc3/gig-e/oc48/10G+ speeds, mpls features, etc.

The first kickoff on any network is if it is service provider or enterprise. The feature sets and types of boxes differ greatly between these for most manufacturers (as does price).

I've been happy with, and disappointed with, Cisco, Extreme, Juniper, and Brocade. There's a few others out there that I haven't used or tested.

In the Terabit market, I love Alcatel and Juniper, but I can't afford the terabit market. :)

Jack