In message <4d457f0e.7070...@consolejunkie.net>, Leen Besselink writes:
> Hello Carlos,
>
> On 01/30/2011 02:57 PM, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo wrote:
> > What I just don´t get if, we as a society, have created institutions
> > we trust with our *money* (AKA banks), why there can´t be institutions
> > we trust with our crypto keys. I know that banks sometimes fail, and
> > yes, probably "crypto banks" will sometimes fail as well, but on the
> > whole, the failure rate of trusted institutions can be quite low,
> > acceptably low.
> >

> Well, we tried to trust the Certificate Authorities for SSL/TLS but that
> has failed too.
>
> And they don't even hold private keys.
>
> Your browser now indirectly trusts 1000+ (sub) certificate authorities.
>
> Do I actually trust them all ? No, I don't but they could all sign a
> certificate for paypal.com* which my browser would trust just fine.
>
> A simple example is CNNIC which is a Chinese government agency, the people
> in China don't trust them, so why should I ?
>
> Should the browser really trust a German university to sign paypal.com* ?
>
> How about an agency in the United Emirates ? How about my own government ?
>
> Or Time Warner/AOL or Ford Motor company or Google  ?
>
> And so on.
>
> https://www.eff.org/files/colour_map_of_CAs.pdf
> https://www.eff.org/observatory
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKCDm04AqI
> http://events.ccc.de/congress/2010/Fahrplan/events/4121.en.html
> http://events.ccc.de/congress/2010/Fahrplan/attachments/1777_is-the-SSLiverse
> -a-safe-place.pdf
>
> At this point, I would really like to see someone implement a
> DNS-recursive nameserver which can be configured to only trust the root
> to DNSSEC-sign the root zone and nothing else. And allow
> the owners/operators/whatever of .com only allow to sign .com. Nothing more.

Every validating recursive nameserver on the planet can be configured
to do exactly that.  Just install the root's keys and don't install
any others.  You won't be able to validate as secure data from security
islands but that is what you want and is becoming less necessary as TLD
start to get signed and accept DS records.

> But that isn't really what DNSSEC was designed to do. I am however glad
> people are working on adding DNSSEC to the browser and some hash in DNS
> which tells the browser which certificate or CA's are trusted for a domain.
>
> Even though it seems to be going slow, because there are many reasons
> why DNSSEC won't be deployed to users any time soon.

A user can turn on DNSSEC any time they want to.  Some ISPs have already
turned on DNSSEC in their customer facing resolvers.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org