On Feb 22, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Hammer wrote:

> I agree. But swapping providers is not the default answer in some
> environments. I work in an enterprise with multiple GE circuits from multiple
> providers to the Internet. The lead time on calling up a different carrier
> and saying "I need a gigabit connection to the Internet" would probably be
> 90-120 days. And then you get to go thru the contracts/negotiations and MSAs.
> You don't just flip. In smaller operations I understand. But I was simply
> saying that it's not always that easy. If I went to my boss and said one of
> our carriers sucks and we should dump them he would just laugh and throw me
> out.

That depends on where you are. If you have a router in one or more of the many
"carrier hotels" around the world, you can usually order a new Gig-E
cross-connect with service in less than a week. If you need to have a circuit
engineered, then, 30-90 days is probably about right. If you need to have
facilities installed to provide said circuit, it can be as much as 180 days.

However, I don't think the point was "disconnect them tomorrow". I think the
point was "If the impact is that severe, the sooner you start the new provider
process, the sooner you get relief."

> 1. What are the SLAs with the carrier in question? Do you have them clearly
> defined? Are they out of SLA? If so, what compensation is entitled based on
> violation of said SLA?

99.99% of all SLAs are a pittance of money refunded IF you jump through extreme
hoops to collect. They are rarely sufficient to resolve
or even compensate for outages.

> 2. What trending are you doing to document the failures in SLA of the carrier
> in question? Do we have a documented pattern of poor performence by using
> that trending?
>
> 3. What are our contractual or legal options based on items 1 and 2?
>
> 4. Don't forget about the Layer8 (political) factor. If your telco manager is
> buddies with the carrier then you have to double your documentation against
> them. Some companies spend tens of millions a month on circuits. You better
> be ready to justify yourself.

Yeah, this is usually the biggest problem.

Owen