Richard A Steenbergen wrote on 16/03/2011 19:03:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 06:56:28PM +0200, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
Are there any transit providers out there that accept using the BFD (or
any other similar) mechanism for eBGP peerings?
If no, how do you solve the issue with the physical interface state when
LANPHY connections are used?
Anyone messing with the BGP timers? If yes, what about multiple LAN
connections with a single BGP peering?
Well first off LAN PHY has a perfectly useful link state. That's pretty
much the ONLY thing it has in the way of native OAM, but it does have
that, and that's normally good enough to bring down your EBGP session
quickly. Personally I find the risk of false positives when speaking to
other people's random bad BGP implementations to be too great if you go
much below 30 sec hold timers (and sadly, even 30 secs is too low for
some people). We (nLayer) are still waiting for our first customer to
request BFD, we'd be happy to offer it (with reasonable timer values of
course). :)

Link state is good for the local connection. If there are multiple intermediate optical points (not managed by either party), or a lan switch (IX environment), you won't get any link notification for everything not connected locally to your interface, unless there is a mechanism to signal that to you.

--
Tassos